Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Spin, spin and spin some more.

I have to declare that I'm in love my new spindles. I had a small bag of 20 gram dyed kid mohair that had a pale aqua-ish as well as a darker blue together, deciding I didn't want to spin the coloure together I split the colours and started spinning the pale aqua first. I used my new Red Cedar spindle and wow! I've never spun so fine!!


Plied upWith a coin for sizing... for those in the US it's the same size as a copper penny and for the Canadians it's about the size of a 10 cent coin.

I started the darker blue on my other spindle which is going quite slowly. Last week I went to the Coffs group's 'Friendship Day' at the Botanical Gardens and took Mavis and my spindles along with me. People were interested at what could be done on a spindle and as a lot of the women had never used one they watched me spindle along. One of the ladies even wanted to buy my (then empty) Red Cedar one, not like I'd sell it!

About 6 weeks ago I got some Angorino (Angora and Merino) tops from the lovely Charly who blends it herself from her own bunnies... who are so darn cute! I got the Moss (for mum) and Tealy Blues for myself. Last week I started spinning up some of the Moss with the Red Cedar spindle and it's not as thin as the mohair but pretty close to it! No idea how much I'll get from the 150-160g (5.2-5.6oz) but definately enough for a really nice scarf or maybe even a shawl for mum.

Yesterday I got a parcel, some more lovely spindles from John "Spindlemaker".

Budgeroo whorl and Blue Gum (Eucalypt) shaft. About 50 grams (1.73oz)
Red Cedar. About 30 grams (1.06oz) However this one isn't staying here, it's on it's way down to a friend of mine in Sydney.

They confused some as they're not like Spindlemaker's usual designs... like my other two.

I'll get some photos of what I've been spinning soon. Oh and I got myself a whole heap more fibre... but for about $5 for 100 grams (3.5oz) of hand dyed 22 micron merino I'm not complaining in the least! I need to stock up for Tocal next year.

No comments: